Sustainability Initiatives at Dircks Moving & Logistics
We actively support environmental protection by encouraging carbon footprint reduction, environmental management, and recycling and waste management in its practices and operating procedures. Dircks strives to purchase, use, and dispose of products and materials in a manner that best utilizes natural resources and minimizes any negative impact on the earth’s environment.
Carbon Footprint Reduction
- Dircks maintains a fuel-efficient fleet of power equipment to minimize diesel fuel utilization. All power equipment operating in California are 2008 model year or newer and comply with California Air Resources Board (CARB) regulations as of January 1, 2014. Older power units have been retrofitted with Levels 2 or 3 Particle Matter (PM) filters to remain compliant with CARB executive order.
- Dircks participates in the US EPA SmartWay® program, a public and private collaboration that benchmarks operations identifying technologies and strategies to reduce carbon emissions, track emission reductions and project future improvement.
- Auxiliary Power Units are utilized to reduce diesel fuel consumption while a power unit is in “idle” mode.
- Dircks has established an employee van pool to reduce carbon emissions and provide employees with a safe, cost efficient commuting alternative.
- Document imaging systems are in place for electronic transmission, filing and retrieval of documents improving process efficiency and reducing carbon footprint of offsite storage facilities and physical couriers.
- Energy efficient lighting and motion sensors are installed in Dircks offices and warehouses for automatic shut off when rooms are not occupied in all locations.
- All computers, copiers and printers are US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) EnergyStar® rated. Printers utilize network multi-function document imaging equipment with two-sided printing capability to minimize paper consumption.
- Utilization of hand sanitizer stations are in effect to reduce paper towel and water consumption, as well as enhance well-being.
- Dircks restrooms are equipped with high-efficiency toilets to reduce gallons of water per flush.
- All kitchens provide staff with on-demand hot and cold filtered water, reducing consumption of plastic bottles and energy to chill or warm water.
- Zero-waste practices are utilized to reduce the amount of non-biodegradable waste in landfills by recycling printer and copier toner cartridges.
- Fleet maintenance facilities recycle all oil, tires and vehicle parts.
- Dircks helps to improve air quality and provide a safe and healthful work environment as smoking is prohibited except in locations specifically designated as smoking areas.
Recycling & Waste Management
- Special recycling receptacles have been set up at Dircks locations to promote the separation and collection of the following recyclable materials:
- Computer paper
- White high grade paper or bond paper
- Ledger paper
- White photocopy paper
- White memos
- Cans and bottles
- Dircks encourages reducing and, when possible, eliminating the use of disposable products. Dircks employees help to decrease the consumption of valuable resources through such workplace practices as:
- Email communication through computer networks
- Posting rather than distributing memos for all employees
- Two-sided photocopying
- Computerized business forms
- Routing slips for reports
- Eliminating fax cover sheets
- Reusing paper clips, folders, and binders
- Reusing packaging material
- Reusing wooden pallets
- Turning off lights when not in use