How to Prepare for an International Move
Moving overseas comes with a number of different challenges. You’ll want professionals to handle the logistics involved with moving your things over such a long distance. The following are some of the steps you’ll need to take to prepare for an international move:
- Find the right mover – Look for a door-to-door mover. Some international movers only ship your items to the port of the country you’re moving to, requiring you to arrange for them to be picked up and moved to your new home from there. A door-to-door mover eliminates the need to work with several movers. Additionally, look for movers that have at least ten years experience with international moving and that have certain certifications, such as FIDI, RIM, OMNI and ISO 90002 certification.
- Understand the cost – In addition to paying for the moving service, you’ll also be required to pay air and ocean transportation charges, packing and unpacking service charges, storage charges, liability coverage and custom duty charges. Custom duty charges can be extremely high if you plan on shipping your car overseas.
- Get rid of what you can’t move – There are certain things that you won’t be able to move overseas. This includes plants, flammable items and foods. Some countries have specific custom regulations and will prohibit certain manufacturers or materials as well. An experienced moving company will provide you with a complete list.
- Packing – Packing yourself is not allowed. The movers will pack for you to ensure that all regulations are met. If they’re not, your possessions may be held up or confiscated.
- Have the proper documentation – To avoid complications, you’ll need to get all the right documents, including US export forms, certificate of registration, passports, Visa, residence and work permits and more.
As Mayflower and UniGroup Worldwide partners, we take care of international moves. Contact us today for a list of services that can be tailored to your needs. These services go beyond moving and logistics; through our partnerships, we can assist with housing, language learning and more.